Saturday, January 21, 2006

Calamitous Countdowns
(Part 3)

2005/2006
Venue: Ministry of Sound?

Description:
Oh yes, with much anticipation and brouhaha, the long awaited Ministry of Sound has finally arrived on this provincial island. Boasting of a 40,000 square feet structure, this will be the world’s biggest Ministry of Sound establishment. What better way than to usher in the New Year in this spanking new superclub?

And yes, I’ve been repeatedly warned opened about their notorious "Hello Kitty" queues. Being a true blue Singaporean, I was prepared for the worst. Or was I?

7.02PM: I arrived at Clarke Quay MRT Station.

7.10PM: Lost count of people in clubbing attire. *Panic Button Pressed*

7.15PM: "Why must Singaporeans always be late?!"

7.30 - 8.30PM: Everything was in a blur. It began with me suggesting to eat at Liang Court but somehow, we ended up in Funan Centre eating at a misleadingly named food court named "99" (As if every food will cost $0.99).

In a moment of disarray, someone brought us on a reluctant walk along Boat Quay only to find out that we were in the wrong direction! By the time we arrived at MOS, lethargy were found splattered across everyone’s face.

8.30++PM : Believe me, the first sight of MOS simply took my breath away. It wasn't the grandeur of the multistoried structure, but the immense number of human beings delineating it.

Making use of wireless technology (aka handphone) and my marvelous navigational skills, we manage to find my platoonmate, Aaron and his girlfriend, Cheryl waiting so patiently. Even though it was clear as day that there were enough people in front of them to occupy the National Stadium several times over.

Once again, thanks to my brilliant connections, we were able to locate another one of my platoonmate, Hong Kin who was queuing up much in front. Gratefully, we were a lot closer to the entrance as I observed the number of people in front of us was just sufficient to overwhelm the Indoor Stadium.

The wait began.

8.50PM: The first drop of perspiration materialized from some insidious sweat pore on my back.
8.50:01 PM: The second sweat droplet formed.
8.50:05 PM: The fifth droplet made its debut.
8.51PM: 500 people were known to have drowned from the incessant perspiration from a sole person - Channel News Asia

9.00PM: The doors of MoS were supposed to be opened!!!

9.30PM: Still standing on the same spot, I noticed nonsensical songs were playing behind my back. Turning around, I realized sadly that two of my khakis have lost their minds. Sigh...
Song being sung by the two idiots: Dragostea din Tei
9.31PM: Song being sung by the two idiots: Song that doesn't End
9.32PM: Song being sung by the two idiots: The Medic Song
9.33PM: Song being sung by the two idiots and me Dragostea din Tei. Arrggghhhh...

9.35PM: A stranger behind us asked about some encik in School of Military Medicine (where I squandered two years of my life). *Cringe* Talking about the medic connection. Agad...

10.00PM: The queue shuffled and everyone made one giant step forward. And the waiting game continued.

10.10PM: An uncouth idiot at the back shouted, "Got a lot of connections rite? Call your mother father come lah! *insert uninspiring hokkien expletives*"

10.15PM: The same bastard continued his choleric tirade. La la la...

11PM: YES! The entrance was finally within sight. We are now around the bend and everyone was fired up.

11.30PM: As the crowd scuffled sporadically towards the entrance, midnight seemed to creep even faster. The difficult decision to leave the queue was once again brought up. Even though no one wanted to celebrate the midnight in a querulous queue, some especially me were more reluctant to leave especially after engaging so long in Singapore’s favourite pastime.

11.45PM: Panic gripped as rumours of the capacity of the club has been reached spreads like fire.

11.50PM: I panicked.

11.55PM: Everyone panicked.

11.56PM: Just when you thought time was moving faster than the queue, it slowed down as if to relish every torturous moment. And just when you think time slowed down, the queue came to a complete standstill.

11.57PM: People outside the queue were throwing party packs containing light sticks and whistles into the queue... Nooooooooooo....

11.58PM: ARRGGHHHHH......

11.59PM: I died of heart attack. I wished.

12.00AM:

HAPPY

NEW

YEAR!!!

I muttered my first word for 2006, "Fuck".

After the malignant midnight passed, we waited for another half hour before making the wisest decision this year; that was to leave the queue. Aaron and his girlfriend left for home, while I with another 5 of my army buddies, Adrian, Alex, Melvin Lau, Royston and Zhikang made our way to Lau Pa Sat to celebrate a new year of folly and fiasco. Irritatingly, Chinese New Year songs were blasting there.

After the feast, we ambulated on the streets of Boat Quay and settled the rest of the night morning in a bar called Hoegaarden.

Downside:
@&#@(^23*@!!! Need you ask?!

Upside:
Hoegaarden was surprisingly “happening” although the diverse choice of songs was almost hilarious.

Fun Factor: -Infinity/10 (MoS) 6/10 (Hoegarden)

Alcohol Level: 7/10
Sex on the Beach
Kamikaze Shot
Frozen Mango Margarita

And the rest was a blur…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home