Saturday, September 02, 2006

School Starts

As the third week of school approaches to an end, I decided to review through the "accomplishments" I've made in less than a month.

1. Fell asleep during lectures. CHECK CHECK CHECK CHECK.
In fact, people are beginning to question on my ability to look at the lecturer teach with the top of my head.

2. Late for lectures. Check.
With lessons beginning at an unearthly time of 8AM everyday, punctuality have to be compromised in order to preserve my sanity.

3. Relishing in 5-6 hours break. Check.
An unmatchable 6 hours of break (during the first 2 weeks) grounded me in NUS from 8AM to 6PM even though I had only 2 lectures installed for the day.

4. Forgetting to bid for my laboratory timeslot. Check.
My trademark amnesia is back with vengeance. Even a quick scribble of reminder on my trusty Kinokuniya Notebook proved to be useless.

I actually forgot to look at my notebook on the day of bidding.

5. Missing my first tutorial. Check.
Thanks to "unforeseen circumstances" (read: buying tea), I was over 5 minutes late for a Fluid Mechanics lecture on Tuesday. As a result, I failed to decipher the imbroglio of enigmatic alien symbolical language muttered by the lecturer.

As a diligent NUS student, I downloaded the 112MB webcasted lecture to catch up on the precious minutes that I have missed. It was only then that I learned during the first 5 minutes, that the lecturer reminded us minions to attend tutorial for classes scheduled from wednesday to friday.

I watched that fateful webcast at home on friday evening.

6. Interview for BTC gone awry. Check.
Currently writing on the article for the Ridge Magazine regarding the new Bukit Timah Campus, I had to post some questions to the law admin.

As usual, I was prepared to:
  • Make multiple phonecalls to the "friendly" law helpline
  • Be diverted from person to person as if I was a lawless plague (don't ask me what it means...)
  • Make even more phonecalls to the Assistant Dean of Law Faculty (the final person I was referred to) over a span of a few days
  • Irritate her secretary as she refused to return from her endless slew of meetings
Indeed, the countless calls I made to 6156 4380 before and after lectures finally paid off when I got her on the line. I congratulated myself silently as I pretended to act professional while doing a little gigue. Hey, hard work and perseverancewill pay off eventually, right?

But no... She had the temerity to reply that she might not be the best person to answer the questions. IF THE ASSISTANT DEAN OF THE LAW FACULTY CANNOT EVEN ANSWER A FEW QUESTIONS, THEN WHO CAN?!
THE DEAN?
THE QUEEN'S COUNCIL?
THE QUEEN?!!!

7. Missing my first laboratory session. Check.
Of course, after forgetting to bid for my Signals Lab, the next natural thing to do is not to attend it...

Wonder what this signals for me...

8. Preparing for the wrong question in tutorial. Check.
I love group work.
I adore tutorials involving group work.
I respect the idea of intelligent students gathering to tackle questions in tutorial.

I love herd instinct.
I like group unity with no questions asked.
It is as if the group was a single entity built for a sole purpose.

When one say we are supposed to do question 3 in a tutorial, we do it.

9. Blogging even when datelines are around the corner. Check.
Enough said.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adrian Pang Jia Hui said...

Chill dude. Year 2 is insanity ^ googol

9:33 pm  
Blogger Glass Cookie said...

You mean you managed to preserve your sanity? Wow... I'm going nuts. (convulsing and foaming heard at the background)

6:57 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Wow! I think you just got more edible, glass cookie with nuts, yummy!

9:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got so much more time than you but I'm too busy slacking to blog. Erm... that didn't come out, right?

4:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home