Sunday, August 30, 2009

Irritating Interviews II

The next slew of interviews began to show some promising signs...

Interview #6
July 7th, 2009
Company: Genome Institute of Singapore
Category: A*STAR Research Institute
Position: Research Officer

What's Hot:
• High pay? (Well, all A*STAR research officers are paid more than decently.)
• "Exciting prospects" of progressing to laboratory managers, even without a Masters/PHD
What's Not:
• Extremely repetitive and routine genotyping work
• Biopolis... ...

Bing Factor:




Interview #7
July 8th, 2009
Company: MP Financial
Category: Financial Consulting Firm
Position: Liberty Intership Career Program

What's Hot:
• None
What's Not:
• Everything. I rather teach music than to take up financial consulting.

Bing Factor:
___

I didn't bother turning up for the interview anyway. Heh.


Interview #7
July 8th, 2009
Company: World Scientific Publishing Company
Category: Publishing Firm
Position: Marketing Executive

What's Hot:
• Medium-sized company with over 200 staff with offices in 8 countries
• Leading local publishing firm for Scholarly, Scientific, Technical and Medical (SSTM) market
• Possible links with my BioEngineering background?
What's Not:
• Direct sales constitute as part of the marketing mix.
• Taking charge of either Physics or Mathematics catalogue. *vomit*

Bing Factor:




This was one of the most gruelling interviews involving a panel of 4 interviewers, as mentioned in my past post. Yet instead of panicking, I managed to intersperse the interview with marketing terms and convinced them I was a budding marketer at heart.

I had indeed master the art of "wayang kulit".



Interview #8
July 13th, 2009
Company: Recruit Express Pte Ltd
Category: Recruitment Agency
Position: Recruitment Consultant Medical Staffing Executive

What's Hot:
• NONE
What's Not:
• I was tricked! Disguised as another name, I had unwittingly applied for it. Misled that the interview would be conducted by a recruitment consultant wanting to screen potential candidates for another job, I actually went for the interview... before rejecting it when all came to light.

Bing Factor:





Interview #9
July 17th, 2009
Company: Alert Life Sciences Computing
Category: Electronic Medical Records Software Company
Position: Regional Clinical Facilitator/Trainer

What's Hot:
• Portuguese multinational company albeit not in the billion dollar league
• 4 weeks training course in Porto, Portugal!
• Annual company retreat in... Portugal!
• Potential opening for supervisory role in Asia Pacific branch.
• Possible inter-departmental switch from frontline trainer to software programmer
• Working in a hospital!
What's Not:
• 8-hour shift work during software implementation in Emergency Room department
• 5 day work week, including weekends.
• Regional work with the first couple of years in Penang, Malaysia

Bing Factor:

Alert Life Sciences Computing is a Portuguese software company specialized in transforming paper-based hospital systems to a paperless electronic medical record system.

As a clinical trainer, it involves having to act as "a key facilitator agent between health professionals and ALERT® and assist users to become familiarized with usage of the company's software".

Majority of the time and effort is invested in on-site training, meaning that one has to literally hold the hand of doctors and nurses to convince them to make an effective switch.

Exciting eh? At least the interviewer Portuguese Pauline managed to stir my interest.

But unfortunately, this job requires one to be based at the hospital where ALERT has a project in. And in this case, at Penang Adventist Hospital!

OMP! (oh my piano)



Interview #10
July 20th, 2009 (10.30AM)
Company: World Scientific Publishing Company
Category: Publishing Firm
Position: Marketing Executive

I was happy but not exactly jubilant with joy when I was informed that I was shortlisted for the second round of interview. ALERT Life Sciences had effectively made the Marketing Executive role slightly less attractive.

So... Bing Factor (Updated):




For the second interview, I met with the Executive Director, Mr Max Phua and Mr Raymond. It was slightly awkward when Phua questioned how much I liked books.

My response:
Eh... I really really love them?

Or at least that was what I probably sounded like.

Convincing FAIL.

In any case, I and another potential candidate (China foreign talent) were then showcased to the array of books that were published by World Scientific. Unfortunately (or fortunately), Dr Phua, the Chairman was too busy to meet us.

After which, it was time to grab lunch and head to town for...



Interview #11
July 20th, 2009 (3.00PM)
Company: AstraZeneca
Category: Pharmaceutical Company
Position: Medical Representative

What's Hot:
• Anglo-Swedish pharmaceutical MNC
• Comprehensive training programme
• Direct bus service to Wilkie Edge (Opp. Peace Centre)
• Each-a-Cup bubble tea outlet on ground level!
What's Not:
• Sales driven with sales target
• Required to purchase own transport *kapuk goes my bank account*

Bing Factor:



I was already exhausted but gulped down another cup of coffea robusta (AKA Kopi-O) to intoxicate the Z-monster. But I soon realized that my efforts would be washed down the drain.

The interviewer actually expressed surprise that I did not have any prior working experience.

Hello?! My résumé clearly stated that I had freshly graduated in July so how the heck can one interpret me to have past sales experience?!

Then, it dawned upon me that my application was recommended by some incompetent recruitment consultant from Recruit Express. Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed my bubble tea from Each-a-Cup after the interview. Heh.

However, I must mention that this was the only company that rejected my application via snail mail.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Fatabulicious fan~ said...

I *heart* the bing factor, fatabulicious idolicious!!!!! LOL

6:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home