Sunday, April 16, 2006

Strait-Laced Straits Times

I think I'm really wasting my time. Doubt this will be published in the Straits Times Forum anyway. Ha.

With much fanfare on 16th April, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong unveiled the People’s Action Party manifesto. Spanning 6 full pages included the headlining the front of Sunday Times, the coverage provided on the vision and goals of the PAP was comprehensive, even when as far to print the 7-page manifesto verbatim.

In comparison, almost two months ago, when Workers Party launched its own 52-page manifesto, it headlined the Sunday Times with a flattering picture of time bombs as regarded by the government. Similarly, the election manifesto spelt out by Singapore People’s Party on its website was surmised in an article that occupied less than a quarter of a page.

Far from being impartial, the Straits Times might have inevitably been viewed as subservient to the ruling party and it is no wonder, why the opposition will permanently be stigmatized in the local mass media as troublemakers as worse and inadequate at best.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever bought the publications by the other parties?

9:55 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

I've downloaded the Workers Party, and the Singapore People's Party one is easily accessible on its official website. But I haven't read it proper cos the WP is super long and detailed, so I'll probably read it after exams.

Hmmmm... Come to think of it, I am seriously considering of buying the WP manifesto, but the location of getting it is rather ulu.

Why?

10:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They were like at Lavender and City Hall. I actually bumped into them so many times. Looks like the more you want it, the harder it is for you to get them.

I've no interest and yet I see them... Hmmm.

9:48 am  
Blogger Jevon said...

who are u guys gonna vote for? argh, im still so pissed with e guy man.. kelvin, what u mean by 'wat?' on e tag?

5:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which guy?

8:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelvin, if you think you're frustrated, pls look at my blog and see my second last post. Cheers. Long live the Establishment. God bless them.

12:30 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Wow. I thought what you wrote should have been published. I guess the multitude of letters fawning over MM Lee drowned out your defence for the youths.

I can understand if they chose to ignore mine cos mine was directed personally towards the Straits Times. :p

Yea, long live the Establishment.

10:43 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Oh, and on a different note, I am voting for the Workers Party in Aljunied GRC.

Bring it on and let the show begin!

10:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

9:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home