Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Rally

Like many other "sua gu" Singaporeans, this is my first political rally I've been to. Compelled to lend my support to the Low Thia Kiang (I lived in Hougang for the earlier half of my life) and since Aljunied GRC was also contested by WP, I accompanied my father on my virgin visit on 30th of April.

With jams stretching along Hougang Avenue 2, 4, 8 etc, it was a nightmare trying to avoid the mysterious surge of traffic. This is the first time I've observed traffic jams in the rather deserted roads of Hougang...





Having to parked around 400 metres from the rally site, we made our way by foot. Upon arrival, all hopes of getting to meet the seasoned Low were dashed. Just attempting to recognize the speaker from the closest distance I could get proved to be an impossible task.




Speaking on issues ranging from means testing in hospitals, rising costs of living, estate upgrading, the lack of level competition of Singapore elections, speeches were punctuated with humour and a generous dose of anti-PAP stabs in Chinese, English and Teochew. Entertaining and even thought-provoking.

However, what struck me most was not the rally per se, but the election coverage of the rally by Channelnews Asia. It is simply no exaggeration when I assert that only 20-30% of the issues covered by WP were reported.

With the James Gomez maelstrom brewing, I urge all to attend your friendly neighbouring opposition rally. You never know what you're missing out on. And if you still harbour the archaic fear that ISC (Internal Security Council) might track you down, think again.

(Can you spot me?)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

9:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home