Friday, January 26, 2007

BioBabble

This new semester has proven to be less-than-ordinary. While I rejoice for the obvious lack of labs in my timetable, I feel a tat inundated with strange modules such as Innovativeness in Engineering Design.

Today, I shall give special focus on an especially dubious module "BN1901, Principles of Bioengineering". While I was puzzled why the lecturer insisted on inspiring us with the ultra-bright future of Bioengineering (I mean we're already stuck in this course liao...) , I was especially perturbed with a particular lecture slide which read:
Where do our students typically go?
- 1/3 to Graduate School
- 1/3 to Medical School
- 1/3 to Industry
The first choice is inevitable for graduates who want to dabble with research. Although I do suspect that most students who initially applied for bioengineering did not know that a Bioengineering Degree is virtually useless in the research sector. Of course, that's assuming that the university of your choice is willing to reciprocate your passion (read: CAP CAP CAP).

The second choice is for all those Medicine rejects. Yes, I DESPISE YOU. I was truly happy when I was accepted into Bioengineering but noooo... some people actually use the Bioengineering route as a back door to fulfill their Grey's Anatomy dream. Well, I guess they think that burning another few more years of youth (relatively speaking) is worth it. Heh.

The third choice is just... disturbingly vague. Would being an insurance agent, clerk, biology teacher or test tube washer count as entering the industry?

Sianz. The future seems so murky for me...

7 Comments:

Blogger Glass Cookie said...

Hmmm, considering that after I took the same exam paper as adrian and alvin, knowing that I did better in the paper than them, yet scoring lower than them... just because they marked my paper only against the aerospace cohort...

I guess my future could be as bright as yours =) Hey, what's so bad about washing test tubes? At least a signature doesn't land you in prison for poor souls who enter the repair/maintainence side in the airline industry. =)

2:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hey, hard at work reaidng ur blog in office rite now!!1
Wah lao,I jus read Xiaxue's blog.
Her nose shifted jus cos she kissed her bf. So scary!!!!
And to tink I wanted to get a nose job too!!!1

11:37 am  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Prison got free food and accommodation hoh. I'll don't wanna eat grassssssss....

And wah lau... Don't read Xiaxue blog liao lah. It's so.... -.-"

12:02 am  
Blogger Adrian Pang Jia Hui said...

Seriously, you should look at the type of jobs available on VIP and IA. It will tell you more of what your future job might be in Singapore. Of course, if you are a true talent, Singapore is not a place for your future. It's too small, too limited in opportunities.

10:14 am  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

I'm definitely gonna try for VIP.

nd HAHAHA. Did you mention true talent? HAHAHA. My Marketing tutor also hinted to go overseas...

WAHAHAHA.

2:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, I'm depressed. I just looked at my schedule for the first half of this yr and I'm only booked til Apr!!!!!! Damnmit!!!! My fellow colleagues are booked full til June. I'm one of the poor few whose schedule is not fully booked.
I guess I dont want to be fully booked lah, but I also dont want to be the notorious A1 whom everyone dont one to book.

God, the EQ factor is so hard to manage when u actually come out to work. I hate this freakin place BUT I will REN.

1:14 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Ren bah ren bah...
The company juz wants to make full use of you. Do what you can and be motivated that you won't slave for them forever.

5:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home