Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Blade Wars

An arms race is brewing and things are going to get really ugly.

It all began with Trac II, the world's first two-blade razor, debuting in 1971. Gillette claimed that the second blade cut the number of strokes required in half compared to previous razors, reducing facial irritation.

In 1990, Gillette Sensor was launched, boasting of blades which receded into the cartridge head when they make contact with skin. This was the first set of safety razor that I used.

Then in 1998, a groundbreaking "technological breakthrough" was heralded with Mach3, first three-blade razor. I thought the idea of three blades was preposterous and swore never to use it. But lo and behold, SAF were distributing Mach3 out to all BMT recruits so why not?

Schick, a distant second in the global sale of safety razor decided to up the ante and introduced Schick Quattro.

All hell broke loose when Gillette Fusion debutted in January last year. Five blades and a sixth located on the back of the cartridge specifically for trimming hair.
Observers commented that with the invention of the safety razor, it took 75 years for the second blade to be added, then only 15 for the third, and one for the fourth and fifth.Plotting the data available with the hyperbolic curve, it is predicted that in year 2015, razors would have had an infinite number of blades.

The Greatest Weapon of All Times

Labels: , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to shave meh???!!!
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

8:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha. Did you do the regression yourself?

5:36 am  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Wah, you can' tell huh? That goes to show my shaving skills is very powderful.

Me do the regression? No lah. Look at the source of the picture... "The Economist".

HEH.

8:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anw, the MACH3 is good. My bro jus bought one. So I saw it one day in the bathrooma and tried shaving my arm with it. VERI NICE!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHA

3:18 pm  
Blogger Xiu Juan said...

Kelvin, ssk your fan to stop inflicting psychologcal abuse on her brother before he actually strangles her with his grilfriend's hair hahahahah..

6:58 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Yah. I agree...
The amount of torture that her brother receives...
Tsk tsk...

8:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pls ok, I haven even got started my bro's lady frd yet loh.
Keeps dropping her freakishly long hair on my toilet floor.....it totally unnerves me when I'm peeing and I see long hair on my toilet floor lah.

I told my bro to tell her to PICK her freakin hair up the nxt time she drops any OR dont step into my FREAKIN toilet. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

10:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAH! And her freakish long hair is no match for the MACH3, i will jus jus shave her hair off!!!!!

10:03 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

I am overwhelmed with immense pity for that gal.

1:16 am  
Anonymous Safety Razor said...

I have to say that I could not leave your blog without saying that I truly like the quality of facts you offer to your readers, especially regarding this article about safety razors.

1:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home