Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Aural Aberration

As I listen to Russell Watson duet with Faye Tozer (of Steps!) in a freshly bought CD "Russell Watson - The Voice The Ultimate Collection", I am slowly resigning to fate that I will be penniless by the time I leave Singapore for New Zealand.

No thanks to the pent-up demand from the last semester, my personal "Must Buy" CDs is swelling faster than I can buy.

1. Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight
I was rather skeptical about this album at first especially being less than impressed with the pseudo-U2 outfit for the first single "What I've done". But thankfully, the other tracks in the album were more edgy and less formulaic than expected.

Those 4 years after Meteora have at least paid off.

2. Silje Nergaard - Darkness Out of Blue
Another artiste who has taken her own sweet time of 4 years to record a new studio album. Silje Nergaard is back again with her trademark fusion of Norwegian pop and jazz.

The question is, when will this album be released in Singapore?



3. Olivia Ong - A Girl Meets Bossa Nova 2
A jazzy bossa nova singer, this time from the local shores of Singapore. I missed Olivia's maiden performance in NUS this year, so I swore I would purchase her latest album, A Girl Meets Bossa Nova 2.

And yes I know, it's a no brainer what the title of the first album was.

4. ATB - Trilogy
I've always regretted not buying ATB's No Silence. You could say the guilty pangs of listening to those mp3 have pricked me to purchase this album.

Containing 26 unreleased, original songs, ATB shrewdly separates them into two CDs, the upbeat ones in one disc ("Dance") and the smoother slower ones in another ("Chillout").

Talk about getting your money's worth...

5. Funkservice International - A Post Modern Life

SkellefteƄ-based Funkservice International brings us this wonderful chillout album, which was introduced to me by our luscious Lush 99.5FM.

It was such a mouthful that the sales assistant at a Gramophone outlet gaped when I asked her whether they carried any albums by "Funkservice International".

She then asked, "Is that the artiste name or the album title?"


6. Voice Trek - An A cappella Tale
A vocal quintet heralding from St. Paul, Minnesota, and absolutely not related to Star Trek. They may not be as critically acclaimed as the legendary Swingle Singers, but the song "Windmills of Your Mind" of this 5th vocal jazz recording was sufficient to blow me off my feet.

Of course, even when the above have been purchased, there are other cds waiting to be "upgraded" to The List. Eg. Ayumi Hamasaki, Tang Quartet, Hillsong, Parachute Band, Blank and Jones, Clarissa Monteiro, Bjork, Jamiroquai...

On a side note, does anyone knows which shop in Singapore sells albums by Funkservice International or Voice Trek?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelv!!!!!!!!!
Lunch has been postponed yet again cos the other tax A1 has training tml. I am so sick of the stupid lunch liao lah!

Latest update: There is a empty desk diagonally behind CH and he asked me if I wanted to move there, so he wont have to keep walking to my desk. Since he is the major shareholder of the cases I'm working on, it makes sense to move there lah. BUT if I move there, there are other ppl ard us, I dont tink I will be able to talk to him as freely as compared to at my current desk. How how how how????

1:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The comments section is turning into an Aunt Agony column..hahahah.

4:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey juan juan juan!!!!!!!
Yah loh, I tink I'm ruining the "feel" of Kelvin's blog.

Anw, I was typing you the extended version of how lunch went from me and him only to me and him and another tax A1, but i was typing it so long and feared tt ppl passing by wld peep at it, so I go home then continue lah.

Anw, give advice leh!
I can only sit there til like early July cos the the table is actually reserved for a new Asst Mgr who is coming in then. Then I'll move back to my old seat again.

5:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah, what the fuck is going on here man.

Anyway, Kelvin, I got Minutes to Midnight and Trilogy too :) Solid stuff, both albums. Linkin Park has finally grown up and ATB has also moved on to fresh pastures. Sweet.

6:01 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Xj! Quick, go restrain fan!

She's literally spamming the comments section with unrelated CH stuff.

Arrghhhh...

(For the rest, please ignore anything posted by the user "fan") :p

6:03 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

And yea Eisen, seems like it's no escaping the fact that I have to get those two albums sooner or later.

6:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelvin!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fine, I'll get my own blog to write CH rubbish in it.

6:51 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Haha... Then I shall must try means and ways to get CH is know your indecent obsession!

Heh.

11:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelvin!!!!!

CH has the flu and has gone home for the day. He looked so kelian!

But you noe how when ppl get flu, their voices get deeper? It actually makes him sound sexier!

HAHAHAHAHHA.......I'm horrible rite, preying on a sick person?

Anw, Klevin says I can spam his blog with my CH comments, so whoever is bu4 shuang3 w me, you can go complain to Kelvin.
*roll eyes*

1:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home