Monday, November 05, 2007

The South, Final

Yes, I'm rushing my blog entries before I leave Auckland for Northland. By then, I would be inundated by so many photos, I would probably be forced to close down this blog.

3rd September 2007: Greymouth/Irimahuwhero
Taking us away from the grey town of Greymouth was an old lady with grey hair. This grandmother could probably wrestle Lee Kuan Yew to the ground and still have strength left for Goh Chok Tong.
I should also add that this was probably the most expensive bus (or more like van) ride because of its supposed stunning coastal views. We stopped by at Irimahuwhero Viewpoint where we were rewarded with a rather surreal and not too amazing scenery. The weather certainly wasn't our best friend.
Punakaiki Pancake Rocks
It turned out that spotting Roa, the great spotted kiwi was more deserving of attention.
"Can I hope on too?"
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The Result:

3rd September 2007: Nelson
Arguably the most memorable part of this whole 10-day trip was probably the time spent in the Nelson.
The City of Nelson is situated very close to the centre of New Zealand. It lies at the southern shore of Tasman Bay, at the northern end of the South Island of New Zealand, and is the administrative centre of the whole Nelson region.

Nelson is a centre for arts and crafts, and each year hosts popular events such as the Nelson Arts Festival. The annual Wearable Art Awards began in Nelson and there is a Museum of world of wearable art showcasing winning designs close to the Airport.
We stayed at Accents on the Park, the only 5 star backpacker hostel we've lived so far.
The place was expectedly well furnished, and claims to have "the cleanest bathrooms you will find in any hostel in New Zealand."
It was much later that I realized they achieved this by setting a vicious 15mins timer on the bathroom lights. Meaning... before you enter the bathroom/toilet, you would have to activate a switch which will turn the lights on for 15 minutes. If you have not left the bathroom/toilet after the stipulated time, you would have to be prepared to do your business in total darkness.

Anyway, back to the beautiful city of Nelson...

Christ Church Cathedral in Nelson, not Christchurch
Anglican Church, looking really Catholic
Pipe Organ stuck between an arch
4th September 2007: Nelson (Abel Tasman)
On a cold and chilly morning, we were picked up outside our hostel. Sleep and heat-deprived, I cursed at every single cloud in sky, threatening to unload its bowels.

Oh, did I mention, we were gonna sea kayak on a winter morning. :(

Sea Water TaxiWe were transported to a camp site where we put on our ridiculous looking wet suits.
After gearing up, we were taken to our unsightly red kayaks where we prayed really really hard that it would not capsize in the icy cold sea.

With my only other experience of kayaking at the dubious fake lagoon of Sentosa (Don't laugh.), the first half hour was magical, dreamy and surreal.
I look DUMB in a beanie.
My partner in crime.
We kayaked to Tonga Island where we were treated to an obligatory sight of seals slacking on the rocks. I suspect they must have been trained to stay at that position so people like us can take a photo of them.

Camwhores
After fatigue began to set in, the magical feeling soon vaporized and it became almost a torment trying to move along the coast.
After a long and arduous journey, we finally reached Bark Bay. *woof*
where we woofed down sandwiches, banana walnut muffins, biscuits and tea for lunch.Satiated, we were left on our own to trek the dangerous Abel Tasman Coastal Track, to Torrent Bay.
Is it just me or does the fungi in New Zealand look more exciting than those back in Singapore?
Doesn't this swinging bridge over Falls River remind you of that lame HSBC tree top walk in Singapore? But this time, the bridge can really swing.
The sea water taxi was back at Torrent Bay to pick us up. After much difficulty in getting our feet dry from the kayaking, everyone cringed when we were told to take out our shoes and get our feet wet AGAIN.
The SOP Group Photo
5th September 2007: Nelson
After conquering the sea, it was time to take to the skies.
Tapawera Airstrip (I think...)
Nah, it ain't flying in a plane but...
HANG GLIDING
Yup, it involves a tow plane aero-towing the hang-glider to a cool 2500ft and then snap! A string would be broken and the hang-glider would be free.

Once again, I was sabo-ed to be the first among the NUSsers... Grrr...

I look dumb and FAT.
Now I look like a fat parasite.

When I was young, I loved getting the window seat of in a airplane. As the plane takes off, I was always fascinated as I gazed out upon the diminishing size of the surroundings scenery. Everything that was once bigger than you inevitably shrinks. Roads become vanishing thin like threads, trees look like shrubs, rivers like a tiny stream...

This time, it felt as if I was seated on the wing of the plane, enjoying a breathtaking 360 degrees panoramic view.
With freely flowing mucus and frozen hands, I tried my best to capture a tiny glimpse of this experience on video.


Before I even touched ground, I knew that there would be a second time.
After an exhilarating ride, I had a hearty and fateful lunch at Burger King.
Fateful?
You might ask. That was because 2 hours later, I managed to unload my lunch into the toilet of Accents of the Park. I knew Burger King was up to no good...

After a few more bouts of vomiting and diarrhoea, I finally visited a really expensive doctor, thankfully funded by insurance.
Yup, you can call me mad since I still had the mood to take pictures...
6th September 2007: Nelson/Picton
By morning, it was clear as day that I hadn't recovered from my food poisoning. As proven by (d/dt)(phototaking) ~ 0.

It didn't help that we took a terribly bumpy ride to Picton on the Naked Bus.

Lone Cross
If you notice carefully on the right, there is a graveyard situated at rather close proximity to the backpackers hostel. Their website is proud enough to lure you with a slogan "Rest In Picton". Thankfully, we weren't staying in that morbid hostel.

Bluebridge Ferry, crossing back to South Island
A very sleepy and tired Kelvin
6th September 2007: Wellington
After a long while, I was finally recovering from my incessant nausea, but this time, the rest of the NUSsers began exhibiting signs of malaise.

Downtown Backpackers
It was a pity I couldn't appreciate the richness of Wellington. But I guess I would there again in less than 2 weeks time.
A dubious looking can at New World Supermarket, Wellington Seafood Noodle Soup, my first proper meal after Burger King
7th September 2007: Wellington/Auckland
I had fully recovered, appetite back and energy bursting!
So where was I heading next?

Back home, back to Auckland...
I had done more things in the past 10 days than I had for the past couple of months in Auckland. By all previous estimates, I had totally blown my budget (enough to fund for a few iPods) and I shudder to think how much I would spend on my upcoming trip.
I'll be back.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Jevon said...

ooh. for the first time i outstripped fan in tagging haha. anw ure such a lucky bitch!!! i wanna do e hang-gliding thing too!! looks so fun. u shld try to find bugee-jumping too. that wld be awesome. and how does e kiwi burger taste? =P

8:01 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

NZ is home to the first commercialized bungy jumping in the world. So there are tonnes of companies offering to jump off at every corner of NZ.

But nah... I have to admit Bungy jumping is way off the limit for me. Maybe sky diving bah...

And heh, that was fish burger.

4:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa everyone's like backpacking and everything. I'm so jealous. Your pics looked like u had a lot of fun. You guys (you and wengkie) have to come back and do some presentation thingy. You'd better. hahaha. I wanna see all the Middle Earth Pics!!

3:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelv Bingalicious Kelv!!!!!

Ur kayaking instructor is SOOOOOOO CUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, gossip guy, the word is fatabulicous, cos the original word is fabulous, not fantastic!

Plus fatabulicious sounds much more delish than fantabulicious(reminds me of some kind of algae leh)!

3:44 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Fan! Control yourself if not you will short circuit the motherboard with your drool.

Heh.

8:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fatabulous sounds very gross. I'd rather call myself fabulicious (fabulous delicious).

Or even:
fantabulous(fantastic fabulous),
fabulastic (fab fantastic), fabulositaceous (just a cool name),
fabulista (fabulous fashionista),
fabulique (fabulous magnifique).
Sounds more glam.
Now that is FABULOSITY!

Fatabulous (fat fabulous) sounds like a cheap deodorant you buy from the corner of a ghetto hood.
Sweetie, don't try me. i'm more trash than you are.
heh.

8:35 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Agad.

An overdose of fa....

8:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weka! It's a weka, not a roa, that we spotted at the Irimawhero Viewpoint... Tsk tsk.

6:12 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Weka meh?

I thought the sign at the viewpoint said that Roa was very common there.

8:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home