Saturday, May 26, 2007

Recap II

The results are finally out and what I can only do is thank God for being so merciful to me. :)
And yeah, I guess it's time to round this semester up with the list of "firsts" I've accomplished in this 6 months.

It was the first time I...
1. ... mistook a 2-hour Cell Biology test for 1 hour.

2. ... took the initiative to meet up with tutors and lecturers during the reading week. Yes, I can sense you muggers shaking your head in dismay. How could I have only done this after 4 semesters?

3. ... I fell ill during the Reading week.

Okay, it wasn't the 40-degrees-Celsius-cannot-talk-cannot-move type of illness. But the phlegm spewing predicament was enough to leave me awake till 4.30AM for two consecutive nights during the reading week.

4. ... I saw a doctor two times within 3 days.

With exams looming dangerously close and worried I wasn't showing any significant signs of recovery, I visited a dubious Silver Cross clinic at Serangoon Central twice. And it was the second fateful visit when I almost died as I attempted to pay for the bill, a whooping S$56.00!!!

Doctor Michael Wong (a name I will always remember... Grrr....) actually prescribed a GlaxoSmithKline combination antibiotic Augmentin for my lame sore throat! Since when does a GP prescribes antibiotic by major pharmaceutical companies such as GSK or Pfizer? A cheap generic Amoxycillin from India/Malaysia/Thailand would probably do the job but nooo...

Premium Antibiotics for the Nouveaux Riche
Did I mention that the inner packaging contains a petite dessicant?

4. ... I lost roughly 800 grams of weight after the examinations ended. With a sore throat rough enough to sandpaper MM Lee's skin, I resorted to healthier snacks such as dried kiwis and Fisherman's Friend, instead of my regular dosage of M&Ms, brownies and Mars/Snickers/Whatever-that- is-chocolate-bar.

It was only towards the last few days of examinations that I began pigging out.

My first stop was the dubious looking Sukiya Japanese-Thai Fusion Pseudo-restaurant at YIH. I ordered Thai Sour Plum Chicken, costing me like $7+ after a generous 10% NUS student discount. It came with a cute green jelly, miso soup and a ice green tea.

It tasted surprisingly fine but I was pretty pissed when I realized I had to clear the tray myself. No, I'm not referring to putting the tray at a allocated area but it was expected that customers separate the different cutlery in an array of containers.

Fine, I know I'm lazy, but hey, I get better service at the canteen.
Having given up on Sukiya, I decided to head to Coffee Grounds, another NUS exclusive Cafe near Medicine Library [ which incidentally is now closed :( ]. A typical meal would cost around $5.50 to $6.50.

Chicken Baked Rice with A Minuscule Brownie
Black-pepper Pasta with Mystery Soup


5. ... I wrote a cheque...
... and then proceed to bungle that up.

6. ... cleaned my cds.
Cds coming from ONE shelf only.

The daunting thought of an increasing collection is only making this stickler for neatness feel sianz-one-half.

7. ... caught my tutor dozing off. Oh wait... I retract that statement back, this is the second time. Zi Han, my Physics in Life Science tutor also fell asleep in lecture too. Heh.


8. ... get to play with expensive machines.

Okay, I'm kidding. I didn't touch the micro CT scanner (below) at all.
Apparently, this is one of the two in NUS which are the only ones in South East Asia. Million-dollar stuff are not for undergraduates to play.

9. ... saw the revamped free musical fountain at Sentosa. It seems that the show has been changed again recently and it is no longer free. :(

10. ... saw so many Dunkin donuts in a single bench.
I guess this is what happens when a bunch of donuts-deprived Singaporean siao kia goes to JB...
11. ... visited an opulent office toilet.
The pictures don't do justice but seriously, a chandelier in the toilet?

12. ... was informed that Mustafa Centre was eye-catching enough to be on a box of "Uniquely Singapore" chocolate.And you guessed it, this was sold in the shameless Mustafa.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

*coughs* MICHAEL WONG... what are the possibilities of 2 doctors have the same name? There's one by the same name at KRANJI medical centre.

oh nowadays GPs give the new generation of drugs. But I know one clinic at SGN ave 3 whose dispensary resembles SAF... gross. Wanted to tell the doc, that i can self-prescribe myself.

3:34 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

What?! I thought he looked rather young. Goodness, it must be the same evil doctor.

Anyway, all I want is some ubiquitous antibiotics that can do the job. Bleh.

11:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Klev, I'm bored with tax.
Tink I'll move on from CH to some other target liao. He's too old and he has wrinkles on his face.

Man, ur skin jus kinda deteoriates and nvr recovers the vitality of youth when u hit the BIG 30.

sianz sianz sianz.......

1:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahaha...Aunt Agony again.

Are Dunkin Donuts any good? My roomie claims that the best donuts she has eaten are those from Takashimaya basement.

1:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo juan!!!!

Oh, those donuts from Taka basement ah! Not bad, pretty good leh. Anw, now there's this donut factory place at Raffles City basement, which always has long queues but I haven tried it yet.

Aiyah, Kelv has no time to come have dinner with me this week, so he cannot come see CH for himself leh.

4:47 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

I personally thought that the Donuts were kinda overrated. It didn't help that there was a poor little fly trapped in the display. Dunkin Donuts just seem to be an excessive waste of sugar and calories, but should wonderful for those who yearns for a sugar rush.

Hmmm, I've yet to eat those freshly baked donuts...

9:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KELVIN!!!!!!!!!!
It's freakin 9.17pm and I'm still in office!!!!

ok, CH jus called, so I tink we r heading home liao bah.

Hahahahahahah.......

9:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!!!!!
Nxt week, I'm on leave!!!!!
Kelvin, I'm gg to sms u tons n tons of smses every day!!!!!

Good luck to CH, he will be at reservist!!!

1:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For anyone who doesn't noe it yet, I GOT CH's handphone number!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And he asked me first!!!!! And I totally wasn't expecting it!!!!!

WAHAHAHHAHAHAHA........
*Officially crazy*

7:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home