Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Whiny Wines

After blowing NZD15.00 on a lacklustre Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix yesterday night, it was another 15 bucks spent on a Wine Tasting session. Aptly, the focus was on New Zealand wines under $20, wisely assuming that students did not have fat wallets.


The first 3 glasses served in cheapo plastic cups were white wines:
1. Domaine Georges Michel Sauvignon Blanc 2005 from Marlborough.
Notes: Dry, Fresh acidity, Freshly cut grass, Lime, Gooseberry, Capsicum
Kelvin says: A-okay, a bit to dry for personal preference, there were herbal hints but it could be psychological.

2. Mills Reef Chardonnay from Hawkes Bay
Notes: Medium bodied, Peaches, Citrus fruit, Light seasoning of toasty oak
Kelvin says: Very palatable, a little sweet, citrus aroma, fuller than previous wine, but nah... couldn't detect any woody aroma...

3. Charles Wiffen Riesling 2005 from Marlborough
Notes: Slightly sweet, Citrus fruit - especially lemon, Crisp acidity
Kelvin says: Not bad too, I thought I had specifically detected a lemony aroma but I suspect my low alcohol tolerance is staring to play tricks on me

The next 3 servings were red wines:
4. Kakapo Pinor Noir from Nelson
Notes: Ruby coloured, Bright raspberry and cherry flavours, Sweet oak, Fine tannins
Kelvin says: Surprisingly lighter than expected, palatable, I was rushed to finish it as the next one was coming up

5. Hawkes Nest Merlot from Hawkes Bay
Notes: Deep crimson colour, Ripe plum and berry flavours, Sweet oak, Soft tannins, Dry
Kelvin says: Ribena wine, very dry, *hiccup*

6. Crab Farm Carbernets 2002 from Hawkes Bay
Notes: Ripe berry flavours, Savoury notes of coffee, Black pepper, Firm tannins
Kelvin says: Gross *gulps down the rest*

After my seventh serving or second serving of Kakapo Pinor Noir, the NUSsers headed to The Occidental Belgian Beer Café along Vulcan Lane. A Pilsner platter featuring a supersized supermarket hotdog rounded up the night.
Of course, not without capturing the most unglam photo of someone.
Heh.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

And another 'Peter' from Leith Park ...

8:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahah....you look like u're having so much fun!!!!

See no nd to worry so much before u left rite? And the food looks so good!
I'm freakin hungry now lah......
*tryin to check out any cute guys in ur pic, which is totalli impossible w u standing there lah*
HAHAHHAHAHA.....

Anw, wat did u tink of HP & the order of the phoenix? I tot they cut too much stuff out liao.

It's HARRY POTTER lah, for Christ's sake! I tink even if you remade the entire book word-for-word into a 7-hr long movie, and I have to pay $14 for it, I will also go one loh.

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS IS COMING OUT TML, 21 JULY!!!!!!!!

12:05 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Yah WK, too many 'Peters' for my own good.

And what do I think about Harry Potter?
Gimme a break. The only reason I watched HP movies is always because of someone else wanting to watch it. Heh.

7:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS IS SOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!

I LURVE IT, ABSOLUTELY LURVE IT!

THE FINAL BATTLE SCENE IS GOING TO BE WICKED!!!!!!

WELL, I DONT WANNA GIVE SPOILERS, BUT IT'S REALLI HEARTBREAKING WHEN SOME OF THE CHARACTERS DIED AND HERMOINE GOT TORTURED......I CANT BELIEVE THERE WILL BE NO MORE HARRY POTTER!!!!!!

10:14 am  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

*yawns*

Heh.

8:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home