Monday, July 30, 2007

Cruciating Crucible

26th July 2007
6 NUSsers caught the sold-out play, The Crucible staged at The Maidment Theatre in the heart of University of Auckland.
Without a doubt one of the greatest plays of the twentieth century, The Crucible, takes on an unnerving air of topicality in our terrorist age.

When the young girls of a closed religious sect are discovered experimenting with devil-worship in the woods they try to save themselves by denouncing neighbours as witches and Satanists. A chain of events is set in place in which the innocent are implicated by the hysteria and fear that permeate their whole community.

Originally conceived as a response to the McCarthy anti-communist trials of the 1950’s, the play now reads as a stark warning about the dangers of irrational belief.

A rare opportunity to see an ensemble of twenty superb actors bring to life this feverishly exciting moral thriller that pits personal responsibility against public good.
With such compelling description and a rather long history stretching back to 1952, it certainly has big shoes to fill.
My solitary photo as evidence I watched the play. Heh.
Running for well over 2 hours, the Crucible was exceedingly grim, accompanied by ghastly lighting and starkly eerie songs. However, I thought the play was almost tedious at some parts but the outstanding cast more than make up it.

Unexpectedly, the most disturbing part of the Crucible was that the $10.00 booklet on the play was SOLD OUT!
Sianzzzzz...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Glass Cookie said...

Haha, that was my secondary school literature text for ) levels. You want the book? I could try to mail it over =)

10:39 pm  
Blogger Glass Cookie said...

Oops, I means my O levels. Typo =/

10:40 pm  
Blogger Glass Cookie said...

Arrrgh, this is bad bad bad, I meant, "I meant my O levels". This is bad man... mind's not working

10:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hated the stupid book lah, I mean in the end, the guy was hanged cos he refused to admit he was a witch or sth ah.

Too high a price to pay for your integrity and all that shit lah.

Kelv Kelv.....I'm so bored in tax now. It may also hav sth to do w the fact tt I only slept 5 hrs yest nite.

12:04 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

Wah... You want to send it over to me? Haha, I don't mind reading, although I think postage will cost a bomb.

Fan! Jia you, the weekend is coming round the corner... Soon...

4:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home