Sunday, August 17, 2008

Army Arghhh

Recently, I've been bombarded by a flurry of mail from "The Decisive Force" of the Republic of Singapore.
Our Army is to deter aggression, and should deterrence fail, to secure a swift and decisive victory. In peacetime, our Army is to be ready and capable of conducting a spectrum of operations to protect our national interests and the well-being of our citizens.
So here's the "spectrum of operations to protect our national interests and the well-being of our citizens" which I plainly interpret as pure harassment.


REMINDER TO ATTEND REMEDIAL TRAINING
What the... I take extreme offense. Since when did I fail my IPPT that would warrant a "warning letter"? (Though I wouldn't be too confident for this year...)
But seriously, I haven't taken my IPPT yet so this kind of ominous insinuation is simply uncalled for. In addition, it's still over a month to my birthday! (insert subtle hint, 25/9)

PIONEER
This is probably one of the few "compulsory" must-haves that all army-serving males would receive every month. Despite numerous attempts to try to unsubscribe it, my cries have obviously fallen on deaf ears.

For the sake of mother nature, I will still try to convince those idiots at MINDEF to save the earth and stop wasting paper on me.

Anyway, call me a quibbler but have you ever wondered why this magazine is still called Pioneer? The last time I learnt about this word, Pioneer was associated with new, leading and maybe even trailblazing.

But at Issue 369, and you're still calling it Pioneer?!

armynews | pulse of the army
WOAH. Hold it. What is this? I've never received any publications other than PIONEER . And now this?

The cover proclaims that it is issue number 154 so I wonder what have I been missing out on all this while? Heh.

The New Adventures of
Army WOSpecs

This really takes the cake. While I was initially horrified that I had received a third propaganda from SAF, I was soon laughing my ass off when I saw the title.

Seriously, who in the world suggested using the phrase "The New Adventures of..."?!

I mean I could understand if people used it in comics and cartoons such as...

The New Adventures of Captain Planet
The New Adventures of Superman
or maybe throw in Batman.
I definitely wouldn't bat an eyelid.
Goodness. Maybe I should consider laminating this publication since it's the FIRST EDITION.

Oh, did I mention they even include real-life testimonials to convince that this "New Adventures of..." book is really good. And my favourite quote:
Every so often there comes a book that make you sit up and think about your place in the Army as a WOSpec. This isn't one of them but it will keep you motivated. It's simply manificent!

3SG Mahmud (NSF)

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Glass Cookie said...

Oh my... you're even more suay than me - at least I didn't get the crappy WOSpecs issue. How on earth did you get it? Handed in too many suggestion forms for WITs is it? Eh, even then it cannot be what... (I mean, how could you possibly hand in more of those crap than I did?)

8:27 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

I don't know!
And I got another issue of Armynews yesterday!

Agad... I hope they don't mistake me for a sign-on personnel.

3:19 pm  
Blogger Glass Cookie said...

Oh my goodness!!! I just received my 1st (or is it my 154th) issue of armynews. This is bad bad bad bad bad. Seriously, is this crap deducted from our account?

I hope I don't get any cheezy wowspec adventure magazine in days to come... =\

11:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea?!! you think thats bad?!! I have a twin brother, and a younger brother, and they both ORDed not too long ago.. Every month, my parents get THREE pioneer magazines and THREE ArmyNews in the mail!!! One for each of us who isn't even in the country... (And God knows what else.. Adventures of the mechanic and the clerk?)

11:58 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

HAHA. Three copies?!
That should qualify as SPAM! lol.

10:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home