Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Crossroads I: Job Application

Ah.

Listening to my free CD "Around the World with SeƱor Coconut and his Orchestra", courtesy of LUSH99.5, while sipping on New Zealand's Matua Valley Hawkes Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2007.
(Pseudo) Wine Notes from Kelvin:
A pale straw colour wine. Bouquet is grassy with green apple and citrusy notes. Zesty though bordering on being sharp in acidity. Overall an enjoyable wine for everyday drinking.
Fine, I've digressed from the original intent of this post.

Belying my true state, I have been disturbed.
My heart is burdened.
A conundrum without extrication, a puzzle with no solution.
The dreaded "Quarter Life Crisis", I have reached.

I've been thinking, pondering and contemplating a lot recently. I feel compelled in many ways to take a stab in life and make life-changing decisions. Procrastination and denial has led me nowhere. More than three years have past since I've entered NUS, and I ain't got a clue what the f*3k I'm gonna do when I graduate.

The time has come. At a major crossroad, I can no longer run away from the inevitable, unless unemployment is going to be a career option. If there's a time to make a decision, it's definitely gonna be now.

Yes, a big fat ugly black on hideous red background, NOW.
Of course, to some others, the options on what to do upon graduation couldn't be clearer. Just follow your interest and value system, they say, and the decision will come to light.

But hold your horses, Kelvin. A cursory reflection of my past 24 years hasn't exactly been useful.
If I could surmise my life in two words, it would be "Neutrally Neutral."

When it came to important decisions, I would always pick the safest options, simply eliminating those that seem the most incongruous with my beliefs and values... and somehow, I would manage to eliminate all except one.

So it's business as usual for me, at least for now.

Looking through all the various recruitment talks that have been and will be held in NUS...
Crossing out those that clearly have no connection or interest with me...
Sending one application at a time...
Drinking more wine...
Look at more websites...
Drink even more...
Look.
Drink.
Drink..
DRINK...

DAMN IT. I'm going to be an unemployed alcoholic if I can't make up my mind!


*hic*

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Nakazawa said...

What a "rich" unemployed alcoholic you are! Getting drunk on NZ Wine! Not beer, but WINE!

But hor, for this kind of thing, my approach is to apply whatever that remotely interest me, then when I luckily have any choices to make when job offers come, that's when the headache begins.

But still, I haven't applied any jobs, so I can't advise I guess.

How about grad school - the snooze button in the game of life?

9:15 am  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

I just don't wanna get a "beer belly". LOL.

Anyway, YES. That's probably the most painful decision, whether to hit that snooze button or get on with life. Or at least I don't know whether people would sponsor me to hit that button.

*Gulp* 4+++ years is certainly not a short time.

11:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kelvin, its not too late to do something unpredictable, life-changing and unsafe. That way, you can't say you've always taken the "safest" choice.. How bout, signing on to the Army - the decisive force?

7:01 pm  
Blogger Kelvin Lim said...

BRILLIANT IDEA!

Baris sedia!
.
.
.
HUA!

10:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6th platoon.. take your time right? nevermind.. whole lot, BOOK OUT NOW!

7:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home